Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Job Cancelled

Perhaps I should have been apprehensive when my incredibly busy supervisor stopped by my desk today and asked whether the job recommendation she wrote for me got me a new job or not. As always a bright spirit, I replied that it had worked out for me. She breathed a sigh of relief and then handed me my re-contracting papers. These were not like the papers my fellow Unnan ALTs received. These papers already had all the boxed checked and the lines filled out. Apparently, due to the budget they are cutting the ALT position at Daito High. They are making the Yokoto ALT come to Daito once or twice a week and the Mitoya ALT take over visiting Iinan High once a week. Good luck!

First I was shocked. I had no warning they were going to do this because they never warn you about stuff in Japan. Second, I was worried. Had I done something to make them not want another ALT? (I mean I do go home for an hour lunch break and I am currently writing a blog at work!). Now, I just feel sad. I don't know exactly why. So let's enjoying evaluate!

Positive Side of Getting Rid of ME!
1. The school does not have to pay for a girl who does half as much work as everyone else.
2. There is no unsuspecting JTE that will be forced to look after the me as a supervisor.
3. There will be no more foreign girls lurking in the school and freaking out their students with a cute but incomprehensible language.
4. There will be no more explaining everyday things (like the use of kerosene and why short skirts in winter are a good thing) that are soooo obvious to everyone except the foreign girl.
5. There will be no retarded foreigner living in the neighborhood who is unable to sort her trash perfectly.
6. The foreign girl won't bring other foreigners around to sully the town with their loud voices and dispositions to have fun and not practice bukatsu for ten hours a day!
7. I don't have to write any of that successor info crap! (the only really positive thing!)
(It is getting bitter, better move on)

Negative Side of Getting Rid of ME!
1. There will be less chance for the students to interact with a foreigner.
2. The JTEs will not have much opportunity to practice their English with a native speaker. They will get to continue teaching, "I play skiing" without any objection.
3. The small but positive effect I am making by forcing the students to write speeches and read them in class will be lost. ( I do think it has proved their speaking ability.)
4. Daito is a great school. I get along with all my JTEs. They give me lots of freedom but at the same time lots of help. No other ALT is going to benefit from this situation and that's too bad!
5. There will be nothing for the students to write about in their class journals about how small the ALT's head is.
6. They won't have anyone to blame when things go wrong. (remember, doesn't matter where you are at, it is always the foreigner's fault!)
7. With each entrance of new 1st graders their English is getting better and better. I am glad that the JTEs can now correct that and subject them only to Katakana English and thoroughly retard their ability to speak English altogether!
(Oooops, getting bitter again)

In the end, I am thoroughly dismayed. But it is not the end of the world. I just can't help feeling sad. I do already have employment after JET and had never intended on staying another year. I have no reason to be sad as this will have no effect on me whatsoever, but I can't help it.

C'est La Vie!

2 comments:

jen said...

Wow, that is pretty shocking. I've always considered Daito SHS to be a pretty good school, it's unfortunate that they won't have their own ALT anymore. Now where will we have rowdy house parties?

Lena said...

sorry I was in bad form on sat and in my own little world, Same thing as u , pain in the hole!! I am probably going to be Leif'S successor which is seriously weird!! going to have him make me a huge package with all the info that he would be giving the next ALT only better cause it will be just school stuff!! going to be at my school 2 days a week, this is so annoying im like really busy all the time, grrr, leif has 2 classes a week at the mo I have 7 grrr, anyways, gambarre in the new job, tell us about it !!