Thursday, May 24, 2007

Kazuna and Aki's Baby Shower

On Wednesday I had the privilege to take part in my first baby shower in Japan. I was amazed to know that Japanese people don't have baby showers because they love everything that is cute, and what could be cuter than a baby shower!!

An eikaiwa (English conversation) student of Jen's is due to have her baby next month and being the nice girl that Jen is, she decided to undertake the arduous but fun task of planning a baby shower. We had food, games, and plenty of people! We also made a diaper cake. Don't worry, it sounded strange to me too at first. A diaper cake is just rolled diapers that are placed in a cake shape and given the the mom-to-be. It is a very practical gift if you think about it. The mom-to-be doesn't really need cake but what she will need is diapers and plenty of them for that pooping machine that is about to arrive! As for the games, we had a relay race to diaper a winnie the pooh doll as fast as we could. I am not bragging, but my team won! Then we also guessed the flavor of baby foods. I can't believe babies eat that stuff!! Then at the end we each blew out a candle and made a wish for the baby. There was a memory book and we also made a patch work blanket. Everyone just signed a square and then I sewed them together. It was really easy which means I might be making one of my own in the future!! Jen and I also crocheted a couple baby hats, baby booties, and a blanket. I was so pleased with the blanket. And it was all due to my friend at home, Suzanne, who sent me great yarn and lots of it! :) She must be physic cause she sent me blue yarn and it turns out that Kazuna is having a boy!!

Anyway, it was a really good time. I am looking forward to planning baby showers in the future! So you know what that means friends! Start having babies! I know, we'll make it a race, first one to have a baby gets a surprise (other than a creature growing inside of you!). Ready? Set! Go!!!!!!!! (This means you Sara!)

1 comment:

jen said...

Wow, when it's put into words, I guess there was a lot put into that baby shower! Thanks so much to you, it was a great success!

本当にありがとうございました!
おつかれさまでした!