Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Knitting while away

Recently, I've been put on a project which requires traveling abroad. On my first trip, I brought some sewing projects and some yarn. I quickly learned that I was way more motivated to knit than to sew. I like doing my sewing projects in my "workshop" (aka the kitchen table). So on my second trip I filled my suit case up with yarn.

I've always been hung up on knitting a blanket because the kinds of yarn I want to use are so expensive. I try to steer clear of synthetic materials. I was also inspired by Restoration Hardware's blankets. Every time I go in the store I'm like, "I can make this."

Since I already knew I'd be spending most of my time in my hotel room, I went ahead and bought 10 skeins of DeAire, 100% merino yarn (Super Bulky - New England Night). It is super soft and warm. The picture below is after 5 skeins of yarn, I'm guessing I'm going to have add 15 more skeins to make it the proper, couch-snuggling length. (Sorry for the poor picture quality, I blame my phone).


 
I really just wanted to knit this in the stockinette stitch but knew that it would roll. So I did the border in garter stitch and knit the rest of it in k3,p1. It ended up being what I expected; it lays flat and is a little stretchy. It was nice to just knit up some swatches and make up a pattern myself, not having to look back and forth to instructions. At a knitting class, I told the instructor I like simple patterns that repeat. She scoffed and stated that was boring. As with most things in my life, keeping it simple is what I strive for. We obviously have different goals for knitting.
 
I also bought some cotton yarn called Lecco which is kind of a novelty yarn. I was really attracted to the colors, they reminded me of summer and the sea. I struggled with what to make with it because some stitches didn't show up very well. I ended up just doing a simple garter stitch which allowed the uniqueness of the yarn to show. I am obsessed with circular scarves. I plan on making nothing but those for a while. I really don't see the utility of the traditional scarf because it aways falls out of place. (Once again, terrible picture, this time I blame hotel lighting).
 


No comments: