Monday, September 18, 2006

Making Movies in Yasugi

This weekend was one of the most exhausting but fulfilling weekends I have had in a while. Instead of boozing it up in the dark rooms of my house alone, I decided to spend the weekend making a movie in Yasugi. It was part of this project to teach people how to make movies. So about 80 people assembled in different teams to make a movie. We had only Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to get all the filming done. So the movie I was working on is called "maede in yasugi". I won't spoil the story for you because I want you to come see it when we have the premiere, but I will give you a teaser. It is about a woman waiting for her date to arrive and the person who arrives is quite a surprise. I had the honor of being the camera man which was challenging in many ways. First the language barrier and second the fact that I had never really used a high tech camera before. But the whole camera was in English so the actual operation of it was not difficult. We filmed each day from 7:30 am until 6pm and then we ate dinner and went to the onsen. On Sunday night we had a party and enjoyed yaki niku. It was a really good time.


This is Aikiko, the woman in charge of the audio for our movie. She is great! I loved hanging out with her. She taught me a ton of new words. For example:
1. onra - fart
2. yuuki ( ゆうき) - courage
3. saparri(さっぱり) - something compeletly done
4. bachiri - complete
5. ijiwaru (いじわる) - mean
6. honban (ほんばん)- the actual performance (movie stuff)
6. sukebe - word used for men who like having affairs!
7. nanpa + suru (なんぱ) - skirt chasing

I learned alot this weekend








This is Minako, the actress of our modest film. She lives in Tottori and wants to be an actress in the future so this was good practice for her. I had alot of fun hanging out with her as well.

3 comments:

Lena said...

Thats so cool babe. wow, let us know when the premier is and ill try my best to come !!

Leslie said...

Hey Lena, The premier will be sometime in November. I will let you know all of the details don't worry!

Leslie said...

HEY! RACHEL!! It has been a while! My year in Japan is going well. It is great having Todd here. He constantly reminds of how many Japanese people are around here! So, finding a job? Todd can put a good word in for you at Wal-mart? What?!? I know you are a highly educated individual but who wouldn't want to work for wal-mart!!!